Friday, July 30, 2010

July 1 to 10, 2010

July 2 visitors finally left and we came to our land. I went out at 6pm to check on the beavers. Grouse Alley is still damp, though no more water in it. Mosquitoes seemed to rise and greet me with every step. I didn’t see any beavers in the Last Pool but when I got down to Boundary Pond, I saw ripples behind the dam. In a few minutes I saw a beaver diving down into the pond and then swimming under water to the dam, depositing some muck on the dam and then swimming behind dam, on the surface, and repeating that at least a dozen times. At first I thought is angling down the dam adding a bit here and a bit there, but the more I watched, the more I thought it was concentrating on a few spots.





While watching that beaver, I glanced up stream and saw another beaver swimming over to and onto the west shore. I soon lost sight of it. Then I saw the ripples made by a third beaver who, I think, came off of the dam and then swam along the shady east shore. Then I saw ripples around where I think the auxiliary lodge is. A gusty wind kept the pond rippling too, and there was a flock of cedar waxwings usually flying off the upper limbs of dead trees and snagging bugs, but sometime they dipped into the water making some ripples. The beaver on the west shore got back into the pond and dove under the duckweed in the water below me. Then it came up on shore again. I could see it eat the large leaf of a small red oak sapling, and then nibble greens that I couldn’t see. This looked like a yearling and it soon swam to the lodge with some leafy vines looped over its head, and dove in. All the while, I heard some plaintive hums from the lodge, perhaps from a kit. After the yearling went into the lodge, the beaver that had been working on the dam swam slowly up pond, through but not showing interest in the duckweed and frogbit flocking the channels.





It frequently dove and I wondered if after working on the dam, it was checking the depth of the channels. However, it didn’t do any dredging. I didn’t have a view of the auxiliary lodge so I can’t say that any beaver swimming up that way went into it. Anyway this was fun to watch, though it is not easy using a camcorder and camera and swatting mosquitoes at the same time. I think I was seeing one yearling, an adult and another adult or two year old. I didn’t see beavers nosing into each other. And as often has been the case of late, I saw a good bit seemingly uncoordinated activity with at least three, perhaps four beavers, eventually going up pond. As I walked up the pond to get back for dinner, I saw some ripples in the channel between Boundary Pond and the Last Pool, but didn’t see the beaver. Then I saw a beaver browsing the vegetation on the west shore,





As it waded back into the pond, it kept jawing stray leaves and blades of grass. I followed it up into the Last Pool and saw the beaver swim over the west shore, cut a small sapling, and eat that.





Then it dove and I think it went around the upper end of the pond and then down past me back into the channel. Mosquitoes were still browsing on me.



July 3 I had planned to get up at dawn to see the beavers, but I still had a good bit of work to do to get the house on the island ready for renters, so I went back to the island so I could work late and get an early start. I got back to our land at 5 pm and at 6:15 was sitting in a chair on the east shore of the Boundary Pond with a good view of the new auxiliary lodge.





The mosquitoes were not as bad this evening, and the cedar wax wings were still flying about after mosquitoes, I presume. Sitting down at pond level provided a better view of their activity and I saw that they did now and then swoop down and ripple the surface of the pond, but I don’t think they were always touching the pond. The flapping of their wings as they tried to regain altitude could make ripples. They don’t swoop and glide like swallows, but I shouldn’t be so precise in my description because they fly fast and I didn‘t see that many dives. Usually they fly up high. Then I saw a ripple in the pond bigger than what the gusts and wing flaps could conjure up. A beaver swam up toward the auxiliary lodge, but didn’t go into it nor tend it. The beaver ducked its head down in the area of open water, brought up something to eat and began gnawing on it.





Then in a few minutes, it dropped what it was doing, swam over closer to the lodge, and slapped its tail. The tail slap didn’t seem to be directed toward me. And soon I saw what I thought was another beaver swimming over to the west shore of the narrow pond. Then in a few minutes a beaver was back in the open water by the lodge, and this time it was gnawing on a leafy branch. I assumed I had seen what I thought I had heard from afar the last two nights I sat on the west shore above the lodge. The beaver slapped its tail to ward off another beaver. I had assumed that the slapping beaver was reserving the use of the lodge for itself. I can’t say I was seeing that. Then I lost track of the beaver on the west shore of the pond and I began wondering if the beaver I was watching had simply gone over to the west shore and brought back a sapling. But surely I would have noticed that no matter how vicious the mosquitoes were. Then in a few minutes, the beaver gnawing in front of me reared its head up, turned, swam over to the lodge and slapped its tail again. This time I didn’t see another beaver. That repeated itself a few minutes later. Then I saw a beaver swimming very slowly more in the middle pond and it angled back toward the auxiliary lodge and I braced myself for another tail slap, if not a shoving match. But the beaver swam into the open area, and the beaver that had been there didn’t swim toward it. The newcomer ducked its head and came up with something to eat. Then the beaver that had been there, swam back toward the lodge, and splashed the water but not with its tail. I’ve seen beavers do this before, kind of shaking their body in the water. In this instance I wonder if this was an expression of frustration that another beaver had horned on its corner of the pond. The newcomer soon got close enough to the other beaver so that I could see that the new comer was larger. The smaller beaver, so it seemed to me, began gnawing on the branch with the leaves much faster, and with good reason. The bigger beaver swam around the smaller beaver who then broke off gnawing and turned as if it was going to follow the bigger beaver. Then the bigger beaver swam back to the area of open water, got the leafy branch its mouth, and swam off with it. I soon saw that it was taking it to the main lodge. The smaller beaver left behind ducked around in the water and came up with something else to eat. Interesting behavior, but did it have anything to do with the auxiliary lodge? Maybe I’ll get out at dawn tomorrow and I’ll see if any beaver uses that lodge.



July 4 I didn’t get out at dawn. I did hear a whip-poor-will and coyotes during the night, but sleep was too sweet. So I went out to the Boundary Pond at 6pm, roughly sitting in the same spot, wondering if I would see what I saw two evenings ago. Yesterday was in the 80s and today was in the mid-80s, dry both days and sunny. I could see that an inch or two of water had evaporated from the pond. A stripped log that was in the water two days ago was now high and dry. So I speculated that the area I saw the beavers in two days ago might be too shallow for their comfort, and I had a cross thought. For some reason I can’t fathom yet, was the auxiliary lodge built as a decoy? Soon it might be high and dry and I think I can probe it without disturbing the beavers.





So I sat for about 15 minutes enjoying the mosquitoes and the cedar waxwings and I saw a brown creeper working the tree trunks in front of me. It worked the trunks right along the shore, not those nearer to me. And I saw some frogs jump out of the water. One small one was so ungainly that I wondered if it was its first jump. Then I saw a beaver swimming out of the grass on the west shore, not quite opposite to where I was sitting.





This seemed to confirm my suspicion, then the beaver swam over into the now shallow area I saw beavers before, and dredged up an unstripped log and began gnawing.





I saw another lurking in the pond nearby and I waited for a tail flap or confrontation but the other beaver went down pond. My guess is that the adult didn’t need to slap tail to keep a two year old or yearling out, and that yesterday, I saw a two year old trying to keep yearlings away. But I have scant evidence for that fancy. Then I thought the beaver near me caught a whiff of me. It reared up and then swam off, but it swam up the channel beside me and then over to the west shore where it browsed grasses, duckweed and frog bit.





I was looking directly across at it, level with it, and thought I was getting good video of how it munched the frogbit, which is an invasive. We’ll see. No other beaver came up between us. Then the beaver swam back down pond, in no alarm, even though I am sure it knew I was there.



July 5 I went off at about 5:45 thinking I would be there in plenty of time to see activity since the last time I went to the Boundary Pond at dawn the beavers were busy until 6:30. But when I settled in my chair above the lodge, the pond was still. Green frogs were twanging all around the pond, but there were no hums coming from the lodge. I thought I saw a lump of brown on the far shore that I thought might be a beaver settling in where I had seen one after 9am three or four times. I waited until 6:15 for some action; I did hear a brief hum from the lodge, but it seemed to suggest sleep and not bustle. We are in the first day of a 90 plus hot spell, and even the bird song was lackluster this morning, though the peewee, vireo, hermit thrush, all chimed in -- and I heard the barred owl briefly. I walked around the pond because I wanted to check to see if a beaver was on the east bank of the pond, and I wanted to get the chair I had been sitting on at night over there, since I didn’t think I would ever see a beaver use the auxiliary lodge there as the water got shallower. As I walked around I took a photo of some St. Johnswort, a modest bloom but it heralds the coming of the golden rods which can turn a green meadow yellow.





I also took a photos of the frogbit and duckweed that I think the beaver I saw last night was eating. The latter fills the interstices of the vines of the former.





The wallow above the Last Pool looks like it might have been used last night, but it wasn’t so muddy that I could be sure that it was used. Since I didn’t think the auxiliary lodge was being used, I walked up next to it, and I saw that it wasn’t so much a lodge as a hut. There were no burrows into the ground there, no effort to fashion an underwater entrance to a self contained den. Instead it looked like there was an open area under all the branches that had been heaped where a beaver could sit in the shade with a modicum of privacy.





I expect it is where the mother goes to get away from the kits. Beavers wean their young quickly. I didn’t probe too much because I didn’t want to dismantle the hut. A beaver might still use it. I got down to where I thought a beaver might be sitting on the lower east shore, and none were there. I took another photo of the hole a beaver fashioned there and could see, perhaps, the start of the same type of hut.





After a challenging day dealing with the heat, with my job being to pump and deliver water for the gardens, I slipped away to check on the beavers and got to my chair overlooking their lodge at around 8:15. On the way I think I flushed a woodcock out of grouse alley which would be the second time I have done it today. When I settled in my chair, I didn’t see any beaver activity, and, again, no hums! So I silently cheered on the cedar waxwings who were flying around and eating mosquitoes, and waited. I think there were more waxwings on the job tonight and some flew closer to me, though not close enough to dispatch some of the mosquitoes plaguing me.





After I killed about 20, their assault diminished, or so it seemed. That must be an illusion borne of hubris. We humans are so cocky that we think if we but lift a finger we make a dent in nature. Obviously the many waxwings eating mosquitoes were finding a constant supply because they were at it at a steady pace until dark. I soon noticed some ripples made by a beaver up in the same area on the east shore near their new hut where I saw them on other nights. And that beaver swam down to the lodge, and into it. Then the humming in the lodge picked up. Of course I am waiting for a kit to come out, and I was encouraged when a beaver came out and started gnawing on a stripped stick right next to the lodge.





When it dove back down in the water, I hoped it would bring a kit out from the lodge, but no. The next time up it seemed more interested in the frogbit and may have gnarled some up in its nose to take in the lodge with its next dive. I think I kept seeing the same three beavers going in and out of the lodge and generally staying near the lodge, and not paying any attention to me. But the humming inside the lodge seemed to subside, just when I hoped to hear some indication that the kits inside where desperate to get out. That the cedar waxwings were so active added to my anticipation. This was a night for things to happen. But the beavers continue along at their same slow pace. A new wave of mosquitoes closed in. When I was half way along the ridge toward home, I heard the coyotes yodeling down from the end of the ridge where I had been sitting. Green frogs were still twanging.



July 6 I got to my chair on the ridge above the lodge at around 8pm, and saw a swarm of mosquitoes around the chair before I got there. Of course, they were delighted with my arrival and as I beat them off, I scanned the pond for beavers. I saw ripples coming from the “bay” below the auxiliary hut, and soon I heard gnawing. I also heard humming coming from the lodge, and I expected a repeat of last night at least. This is the second day of our hot spell and since we can swim in the river, which is quite cool still, we spent the late morning through dinner time there. We left our little house on our land closed up to see if that kept it cooler. No. And so I went out to the see the beavers. I thought the beavers might react to the heat in the same way and get out of their hot lodge into the pond which must begin to cool as the sun goes down. But I saw less activity than I did last night. An adult beaver came out and swam slowly up the channel. About half way to what I used to call the upper part of Boundary Pond (with all the rain all parts are joined now),





the beaver slapped its tail with a good bit of authority. I thought it might be directed at the beaver in the bay, telling it to move off, but no. The adult beaver turned, swam back down pond and over to me. It didn’t linger long to contemplate me and swam slowly back up pond, and I lost track of it. Usually a third beaver is about, but not tonight. I did hear some promising hums from the lodge, for example, a series of eight hums in a crescendo. But with this family, kits are generally not revealed with a fanfare. I checked last year's journal and I first saw a kit here last year on July 6. It simply popped out of the lodge a little before 9pm. Tonight I kept hearing gnawing from the bay, and then I saw a smaller beaver hauling out a stripped log and having a good bit of trouble with it. I expected to see it drag the log to the dam, but as far as I could see, it continued on to the dam without it, and may have slipped into the lodge before it got to the dam. So I began to think my presence was bugging the beavers. They used the entrance to the lodge farthest from me. Indeed, I think the adult beaver snuck back into the lodge by that entrance because around 8:50 I saw it sneak out of that entrance, swim up the east side of the pond and ripple on into the “bay.” Then when I got up to leave at 9, a smaller beaver came out of that entrance, swam over to me, and dove to avoid me as it continued swimming up pond. No kit tonight, though I could certainly hear one humming inside the lodge. I left at 9 not only because it was getting dark, but because the humming of the mosquitoes higher in the trees becomes a bit more menacing. I always hope that they will stay up there where the cedar waxwings could more easily pick them off, but then a hundred seem to descend down on me, though many of them seem more interested in other mosquitoes than me, at first. There seemed to be fewer waxwings tonight. No green frogs twanged. I heard a hermit thrush or two, and, quite surprisingly, a chickadee. What was my winter companion doing out in that heat?



July 7 another very hot day but I decided I best brave the heat and check on the beavers I’ve been watching on Wellesley Island. I went just after lunch and tried not to play the mad dog in the noonday sun. I rode the bike over to the entrance of South Bay and then walked around the half shaded South Bay trail and up the completely shaded East Trail. I looked down on the upper East Trail pond, where the beavers had been, and I didn’t see any signs of dredging or nibbling.





I think that proves that the beavers are not living back here. Then I inspected the creek coming down from Shangri-la Pond where the beavers had fashioned pools behind impressive though small dams and cut a substantial maple tree. I haven’t seen this development for over a week so I expected to see some new wrinkles,





and the maple they cut had been trimmed back.





Given the heat and sun, I also expected the water to be lower in these pools. But how recently had beavers been here? Right under the bridge crossing the creek I saw that the water below the upper dam backed up behind a little damlet, to coin a phrase, was quite muddy.





The lower pool seemed muddier than the upper pool and since there was no flow through the creek some animal probably raised the mud. Plus one alder at least had been cut





The little wallow below the lower dam was not that muddy.





So I think a beaver or two had been here in the last day or so but I have difficulty figuring out how they are using the area. Studying this I was out in the hot sun and decided I best postpone further investigation until a cooler day. I didn’t see any new tree gnawing around the creek which means the only food beavers find here are the maple they cut, the clump of alders and the cattails, ferns and grasses. Perhaps that is enough for one beaver, but I am looking for a family of at least three. Crossing East Trail pond meadow on the old boardwalk was all hot sun. Plus since I had to wear short pants, I had to contend with cutting grass blades. I saw my first vervain and I wished there was more of that gentle plant to walk through.





Eighteen months ago a beaver briefly lived in the East Trail Pond dam and a cut a few nearby trees. Below a carpet of duckweed there is still enough water for a beaver to comfortably hide in.





But I didn’t see any signs of a beaver being there now, Crossing the Second Swamp Pond dam was tough. The humidity gripped the cattails. Now I had to look for otter signs. I found none but was impressed that their last latrine was just as they left it a couple weeks ago. No grass had grown up.





The pond behind the dam looked meager, but otters don’t mind shallows if there is something to eat.





By the time I got up to the Last Swamp Pond dam, I was telling myself not to look around too much so that I wouldn’t see something I had to walk over and photograph. I looked at the old latrines and saw no new scats; I looked at the dam and saw it was in good shape





And trudged on. When I reached the rock above the mossy cove latrine, I was in a sweat and my heart was pounding, but there I found shade, and a breeze and took my shirt off and soon cooled down. I easily saw that I no inspecting to do. Otters had not been there. The rock was pocked with goose poops.





And judging from one pile of poop in the latrine below one goose stayed here quite a while peacefully pooping without any worry about otters.





Then I had some entertainment. Two kingfishers worked the pond not even easing up on their cackling on account of the heat. One foraged in a way I’ve never seen a kingfisher try. It skimmed the water, flapping wildly just a few feet above it and dove down several times and it certainly looked like it was nabbing something. I don’t think they cackle when they come up short. Soon I was in shape to head home and I knew a shady route, that same route that I fancy the otter mother had mapped out. My premise, which I have little basis to make, is that because the mother did not take her pups to the river during the winter, and because in the late spring the vegetation along the creeks was getting rather thick, she had to demonstrate the virtues if not necessity of climbing rocks. And she did that by repeatedly taking the pups up on the rock above the mossy cove latrine at the Lost Swamp. I noticed that she took a unique route so that she came up on the rock from the south despite the pond being north of the rock. However, I never saw that. I just saw the scratching of the dirt south of the rock and the scats on the top of the rock. While for the last several years I generally take the low routes looking for otter and beaver signs, years ago I became familiar with the ridges. When I first had this fancy over a week ago, I tried to get to South Bay using the otter mother’s “map.” After a promising start I had gotten into the first swamp valley and ended up on a rock outcrop that clearly no otter had ever visited. Today, once again, I could see that the first rocks above the map rock were in an analogous situation with the map rock, and that if the otters went around them to the south and then climbed up them, the rocks would point them in the right direction. There is a valley cutting through the ridge and when I approached it today, I found a trail through -- probably made by deer.





Then I faced more rocks and once again I saw that if I went south of them and then climbed up them, the rocks would point me in the right direction, which is to say, if I went down the steeper face of the rock, I’d go back to a pond or meadow. That is the virtue of the map rock. It reminded the otter pups that the south slope is angled and east to climb and the north slope was steep and difficult and that if they didn’t go down it or up it, they would steer right!





The last time I tried the route, I cheated a bit by not always going up the ridge. Despite the heat, today I went up





And that oriented me more to the north so that I would avoid the swamp to the south. Up on the ridge the going was level and easy, with occasional outcrops of rocks to keep the map alive in my mind.





The outcrops up here did somewhat level off with an equal slope on the north and south side but by this point the pattern of the rock always led in the right direction.





Then the ridge curved to the north. There were no more outcrops, but if you kept on the ridge, you had to go south to north. Where the ridge ended there was an open flat area and I fancied I could see the leaves scratched as an otter might do -- but on the way I saw turkeys scratching the leaves on another part of the ridge.





Then to the west was an easy slope down to South Bay.





Indeed it looked like a likely path might lead directly to the old otter latrine under the willow on the north bank of the south cove of the bay. Even if my idea that the mother used a rock as a map is utter nonsense, this certainly is the easiest and most direct route from the Lost Swamp Pond to South Bay. I have tracked otters going more or less this way in the winter. Here is what I wrote in my journal on March 2, 2006. “So I headed up to the ridge and about 100 yards off the pond picked up their slides. They were no longer following the low ground, they had shifted into high gear and I backtracked them under the pines on the plateau





and up every rocky peak that was in their way.





They kept a straight line along this high backbone of the island, though I sometimes I lost their tracks amidst a scurry of deer prints around pines and porcupine tracks around maples.’ (Nice to end a journal entry of a blistering hot day with photos of snow.) Establishing the importance of the route also explains the importance of the mossy cove latrine below the rock next to the Lost Swamp Pond.



July 9 our heat wave continued and yesterday became insufferable when the wind died down. This morning we woke up to thunder and sunlight and I got out just in time to cover our wood piles before a downpour at 6:30 am. The rain soon stopped but clouds kept the temperature from climbing back in the 90s. I walked around the beaver activity and saw that despite the downpour the heat of the last few days had dried out most of the flood above the Last Pool.





I finally peak around and looked at the front of the auxiliary lodge which I now call the Boundary Pond hut and tried to get a photo of the hole into the hut.





Here is a temporary home for just one beaver.





I recalled that I roused two beavers off the bank during the day a few weeks ago. Could one of those beavers have been the mother in the process of weaning the kits, and the other beaver a yearling still pestering her. So the mother fashioned a hut for one so she couldn’t be bothered. Of course, I haven’t seen a beaver using the hut yet. The stripped logs in the pond near the hut look rearranged,





But there are no stripped logs in the hut. I’ll try to get a close-up of the floor of the hut to see what a beaver in there might have eaten. The trail up the ridge behind the hut still looked used but it was too humid and wet to climb up to check that. Where a beaver had been parking itself on the lower east bank of the pond -- and I saw a beaver there three different days, looked rearranged too. Almost like a beaver was gathering materials to build another hut.





Or was it just amassing things to nibble? This is exciting to see, but am I making too much of this and the hut? After all the last few days I’ve checked here, a beaver has not been out. If the mother was trying to keep away from the kits, she was being half-hearted about it. Since I didn’t think beavers would come out of the lodge at 10 am and because it was wet below the dam, I walked on the dam to get to the other side of the pond. I walked by a beautiful green frog





Then another, and then another even bigger and a richer green.





None of the frogs jumped even though I had to walk two feet away from them. There was a chunky stripped log bobbing just behind the dam.





There was another stripped log behind the lodge, perhaps a bit bigger than the stick I have seen beavers gnawing there.





I sat up in the chair overlooking the lodge and to my amazement the deer flies and mosquitoes more or less left me alone. The cloudy damp day inspired the hermit thrushes to sing. I think I heard two adults on both sides and then a feebler rendition of the song. Can fledges sing this soon? I also heard the peewee and the oven bird. Of course I heard green frogs twang. I heard a kit hum inside the beaver lodge, then quiet for 15 minutes, then 15 minutes later I heard a series of hums, but no splashes suggesting any of the beavers young or old were about to come out. When the sun came back out, I moved on. If the beavers had cut down any of the many hemlocks they have girdled I could easily guess where they got the logs they’ve been stripped. But all the hemlocks save one are still standing and that one was not segmented into logs. Otherwise the beavers have cut few other trees. Today, I saw a small tree cut at the Last Pool dam, but most of the trunk was still there.





I’ll have to widen my search for the source of their logs. The pool or pond behind the breached dam was quite radiant.





How could a beaver resist gamboling there. But I have to strain to see signs of fresh activity. I saw that a strip of bark was ripped off a small hemlock, and I don’t think I’ve seen that before.





But even if it is new work, it is something that a beaver could do in a minute or so. The clouds hung around for most of the day and when we went back to the island, I paddled over to South Bay. There especially the river water is getting a warm feel and smell to it. In the south cove the yellow spatterdock is beginning to trump the fading white water lilies. The pads of both are thickening and blocking off clear channels. In the north cove the water lilies are still in their prime. Of course, I checked the willow lodge latrine for otter scats and if I saw some that would prove, to me at least, that I am right about the otter map route along the ridge. But I saw no scats. The latrines along the north cove looked unvisited too, even the latrine at the entrance to South Bay, though I can only be sure of that one by climbing up in the grass which I didn’t do. I saw several herons fly off trees, and one osprey. And just off the north shore of the bay I saw two big loons facing opposite directions and, as far as I could see, doing absolutely nothing: no diving, no courting, no preening. Maybe the heat had gotten to them too. I saw some very small midges dancing above the water along the north shore. Then paddling back across the mouth of the bay, I saw several seagulls flying erratically about 20 feet above the water. I wondered if they were catching bugs, and it put me in mind of the time I saw 50 or so seagulls flying over the trees on north shore ridge. Last year at about this time I saw several map turtles on the logs along the shore of bay. Today I didn’t see any turtles. Obviously animals do the same things year after year, but I don’t always see the same activity at the same time year after year. The human and animals calendars just don’t quite jive. We’re probably too dull to keep up with the lively procession of their lives.



July 10 The heat and humidity kept me away from the Boundary Pond for a one night and then it rained last night. This morning we weeded the garden. Despite the rain and a cold front slowly moving through it was still humid and only about 5 degrees cooler. Not the best conditions for weeding. We had obligations back on the island and we got back to our land at 8pm. As we drove in we saw a hare try to mount another hare by the side of the road and they both scooted into the brush and woods. It had cooled down enough so I could wear a long sleeve shirt. The mosquitoes had been bad during the day, so I put repellant on my hat the edges of which cover my neck and almost my ears. I didn’t take my camera, only the camcorder. I expected to see a kit that would be too small to show up in the camera. Mosquitoes were as always as I walked up grouse alley and the ridge. But when I got near my chair, I saw a swarm of mosquitoes around it. The humming was all pervasive. The cedar wax wings were in constant flight. I hoped that the repellent on my hat would drive the swarm away. No. Only the two beavers I saw in the pond were slow. But I could hardly look at them. I got two seconds of video of an adult leaving the lodge. I could hear a kit, maybe two, whining in the lodge, and an older beaver gave quite a patter of hums, even varying pitch. I thought that was promising. But when the adult beaver left the humming subsided. I gave myself 15 more minutes, and 5 minutes later fled for home.

No comments: